What Are We Looking For?
As part of our continued growth within the business, our in-house Design team is looking to hire a Design Manager to join us permanently in our Cumbernauld office. This is a fantastic opportunity to lead a multi-disciplinary team of Engineers, working in partnership with our Delivery teams to service the Water industry.
The Design Manager will provide guidance and leadership to design personnel, and be involved in the day-to-day work scheduling, prioritising workload and progress reporting. In addition, the Design Manager will be responsible to ensure that the design process adheres to RSE quality procedures, client specifications and the specific needs of the designed systems/products.
Some of Your Key Duties Include:
- Provide technical direction for the development, design, and systems integration across multiple client engagements from the definition phase through to implementation.
- Work with Project Managers and Engineers to ensure the Design department is appropriately resourced (staff and equipment) to achieve committed work schedules.
- Apply significant knowledge of industry trends and developments to improve the service to our clients.
- Ensure that all designs and any associated changes are managed and notified to the Project Manager and where appropriate, Early Warning Notifications are issued to the client.
- Day-to-day work scheduling of the team, setting priorities and reporting progress.
- Create and execute development plans across multiple projects and revise them as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements.
- Keep Project Managers well informed of the status of development and serve as a liaison between the Design, Manufacturing and Project Management departments as well as the client across multiple projects.
- Be fully aware of design and drawing procedures, ensuring all design work is compliant with RSE procedures.
- Resolve design issues between reviewers/checkers and drawing/document originators to ensure a consistent yet compliant approach is achieved.
- Manage multiple technical teams within budget and project schedules.
- Provide leadership to staff and sub-contract design personnel on workload, priorities, and design compliance.
- Manage client interaction and expectations across our design engagement.
- Anticipate client’s needs and propose alternative technical solutions.
- Participate in all programmes relating to performance evaluations and career development planning.
- Mentor the Design Office team and other staff members through formal and informal channels.
- Serve as a key participant in team and client meetings.
What Do You Need?
- A Degree/HND/HNC in Engineering or equivalent.
- Proven experience in a senior engineering position.
- Experience in managing multidisciplinary design teams.
- Good project management knowledge including all aspects of project development, design, construction, and commissioning.
- Design estimation and cost planning knowledge and experience.
- Experience in personnel management.
- A good understanding of civil, mechanical, and electrical disciplines.
- Possess the expert knowledge to identify opportunities for change, and the ability to convey the need for change.
- The ability to conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities.
- Persuasive, encouraging and motivating skills.
- The ability to elicit cooperation from a wide variety of sources including upper management, clients and other departments.
- The ability to bring projects to successful completion.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
Who Are We?
RSE is the leading contractor of choice in the design, build & maintenance of water treatment & water recycling equipment. Delivering products and services to clients across the UK, our unique offering to the market focuses on innovation, efficiency, and excellence.
Established in 1982, RSE has grown into one of the most prominent specialist engineering businesses in the UK water industry. We have created an in-house full-service capability from project inception through to design, fabrication, and delivery using installation and commissioning. We additionally have one of the largest servicing and maintenance teams in the market space, to ensure we’re on hand for all our client needs.
We have created a service offering for our clients that presents innovative solutions to our industry and our dedicated staff plays a key role in delivering our business and sustainability goals. We have grown to over 1400 staff across our Group of companies, with a strategic ambition that will see the business continue to grow as we expand our operations and diversify our products. One of RSE’s key focuses is driving servant leadership, giving our people the opportunity and responsibility to take an entrepreneurial approach in their roles to further their careers.
What RSE Offer
To build successful teams and drive the level of quality that RSE is renowned for, we know we need the best people in the industry. Not only do we require the relevant skillsets, but we also need people with the right attitude and mentality to thrive and grow in such an innovative industry. At RSE, you’ll be given every opportunity to set the path of your career through our Business Streams and work in an environment that will require you to rise to the challenge of working for a market leader.
- Industry-leading salary.
- Company car allowance.
- A flexible career development path, with no restrictions on where your career can go.
- Holiday Allowance of 31 days per year, rising to 33 days per year after 2 years’ service.
- Company Pension Scheme.
- Various other benefits
- Access to our network of health professionals including Mental Health Champions and Occupational Health Nurse.
In a flourishing sector where there are vast career opportunities available, we believe our niche offering to the market means our people have the space to thrive and innovate our industry. If you’re interested in a career with a company that will harness your skills and provides you with the support to create your future, then please apply. We’re excited to take you on the journey and continue to grow as the UK water industry’s contractor of choice.